Sunday, January 7, 2018

Ottawa Magazine and new Hintonburg hot spot 'The Third'

I was pleased to have received a mention in Ottawa Magazine in December, in an article on new Hintonburg restaurant-bar-social spot 'The Third' at 1017 Wellington Street West. If you haven't visited the Third yet (in the location that was recently the Blackpepper Pub) I highly recommend checking it out, as does Ottawa Magazine.

You can read the article here:
https://ottawamagazine.com/eating-and-drinking/city-bites/where-everybody-knows-your-name-the-third-brings-small-town-feel-to-bustling-corner/

The building has a long history, which I wrote about in great detail two years ago in one of my favourite articles I've written, on the topic of Chinese Laundries. You can view that article here: http://kitchissippimuseum.blogspot.ca/2016/01/the-chinese-laundry-long-lost.html

This fall when The Third was renovating towards their grand opening, owners Ashley and John were keen to try to bring a substantial local history flavour into the restaurant, and to really highlight the building's long history as a Chinese hand laundry. In fact at one point they were debating using part of the original "Hintonburgh Hand Laundry" name as part of their new name. They reached out to me about securing some old photographs, advertisements, artifacts, etc., and of course I was more than happy to assist any way I could. So the end result is impressive, and already I have someone every day or two either recommending I go see it, or asking if I had a hand in it :)

The Third at 1017 Wellington Street West
in 1955, as the Hintonburgh Hand Laundry
(City of Ottawa Archives, CA-36115)

No comments:

Post a Comment